Meet Eric Nordhoff...Eric is a successful entrepreneur in Nashville, TN. He shares about his days working in Christian music, his success as co-owner of a Walking Dead podcast and convention, and how that nearly destroyed his marriage. Eric also talks about the new season he and his family are in now with essential oils and podcasting.
Meet Carlos Aguiar...Carlos is the co-host of Carlos & Joy, a nationally syndicated afternoon radio show on WAY-FM. He shares so many great stories from his journey:
-He talks about a time when a mentor told him he didn't have what it takes to be on radio, but instead of throwing in the towel, he used it as motivation to work harder.
-He was told to change his name in order to host a radio show because it's an ethnic name and doesn't fit the Christian radio audience.
-Carlos also shares honestly about what he sees as issues with today's Christian radio and music.
-He shares about challenges he faced as he remarried and what God taught him through that.
CONNECT WITH CARLOS & JOY:
CONNECT WITH CARLOS:
Justin Fratt is the Director of Operations at the Gospel Music Association (GMA) - the nonprofit organization behind the Dove Awards, GMA Immerse Conference, Gospel Music Hall of Fame, and so much more.
Justin shares his story of being a Christian music "nerd" to being an intern to now playing a key role at GMA and bringing the Christian music industry together. He also shares a suspenseful, yet hilarious, story of a time when he had to be courageous...and save his wife from kidnappers?
Today marks 27 years of living in the U.S. for me, my 4 older sisters, and my mom. On July 4, 1990 my family immigrated to the states from South Korea. I was only 9yrs old and that night I thought the country was celebrating immigrants, like us, moving to this country that day. I was blown away by the welcome. Unfortunately, I quickly found out that was NOT the case.
We faced A LOT of challenges and tribulations along the way…
Racism. Discrimination. Hate.
I learned quickly, as I started 4th grade in San Jose, California, that this world is full of hate. I faced racism every single day for years. I got made fun of and shunned just because I looked different. No one wanted to talk to me or be near me.
I couldn’t understand english, but I definitely understood hate. I cried many tears. WE cried many tears. I hated this country because of how my family and I were treated. We were told MANY times to GO BACK WHERE YOU CAME FROM!
Usually July 4th is a day of great food, fun and fireworks for me and my family (wife and 4 kids), but this week I’ve been in a very reflective mood…
I LOVE this country and I consider myself a Korean-American. I’m SO THANKFUL that I get to live in this country where there are so many opportunities. I’m thankful that I get to live in a beautiful home with my beautiful family, working my dream job. I’m grateful that we are free to worship God without fear of persecution or death, which my fellow Koreans face every day in North Korea.
As I reflect on the past 27 years, I’ve realized how I’ve often been embarrassed and ashamed of my heritage as a Korean, because of how I’ve been treated, and still get treated sometimes, and even how my kids are treated sometimes by their peers (even though they are only half Korean). -Racism still exists-
If I can be honest, I have a hard time EMBRACING and being PROUD of my heritage. But, I’m continuing to grow in that area.
I decided many years ago as a kid that I’m going to embrace others who are different from me. God’s given me a heart to reach the outcasts because I’ve been an outcast. He’s always helped me see and love those who are not accepted by the popular crowd. And, I hope that my kids (continue to) live that way as they grow up.
So, to those of you who have embraced me for who I am, and embraced my family for who we are…THANK YOU. You truly exemplify what this country is all about.
Happy Independence Day!
From beauty pageants to dancing to working in Christian music... On this episode, Wisdom is joined by Morgan Shirey. She works at Integrity Music (a Christian record label in Nashville), as well as doing photography and makeup. Morgan shares how she grew up in a small town in Arkansas and how God guided her in her journey to where she is now.
Don't try to accomplish your goals on your own. We all need a team.
And, I'm realizing more and more how important it is to have the RIGHT people on your team.
Your team can either drag you down or pull you up.
If you have a team, empower them to utilize their strengths. If you don't have a team, make it your priority to find the right people to be on your team.
As my friend Dustin Smith always says, "One puts a thousand to flight, two puts ten thousand to flight." (Deuteronomy 32:30)
I listen to A LOT of podcasts. Over 30 in fact. I started my own podcast 11 years ago because I loved how I could find podcasts on virtually any topic I was interested in, and learn from some of the best experts in the world, for free!
I listen to podcasts while I get ready in the morning, on my commute to and from work, and when I go to bed. I'm learning something new everyday.
Here are 5 of my favorite podcasts (in no particular order). I'll tell you about others in Part 2 of this series.
1. Full Circle Music Show - one of today's best Christian music producers/songwriters, Seth Mosley, and his team interview some amazing folks in the Christian music industry. If you're interested in working in the industry or are an aspiring artist/songwriter, this is a must-listen.
2. The Way I Heard It with Mike Rowe - you may recognize his name from the TV show, Dirty Jobs. This podcast is "a series of short mysteries for the curious mind with a short attention span...Each episode is a true story about a real person, place, or thing." Each episode is only about 10min long.
3. How I Built This - as an entrepreneur at heart, I find this podcast (produced by NPR) very inspiring. It's "a podcast about innovators, entrepreneurs, and idealists, and the stories behind the movements they built. Each episode is a narrative journey marked by triumphs, failures, serendipity and insight — told by the founders of some of the world's best known companies and brands."
4. Building a StoryBrand with Donald Miller - this is a great podcast for entrepreneurs and anyone who works at an organization, especially in the area of marketing. It offers "practical advice about clarifying your message and growing your business". They feature some phenomenal guests.
5. Craig Groeschel Leadership Podcast - this is one of the best leadership podcasts out there, both for church leaders as well as business leaders. I find myself listening to many episodes more than once because there are so many great nuggets in each one.
BTW, if you're looking for a good app to listen to podcasts with, Overcast is what I use.
I decided to start blogging again. It's been a while. So much has happened since the last time I had a personal blog.
I'm not sure if anyone will find this blog interesting or even bother to read it, but I'm starting this for my own benefit, to document my journey of what God is doing in my life.
This is Day 1.
Wisdom Moon signing off for now...